Cyanco COVID-19 Update
The mining industry has a proud heritage of giving back to the communities where they conduct business.
Since its beginnings in 1990 as a regional chemical producer, Cyanco has held this same belief: we must be the best neighbor possible in support of our local communities. After all, Cyanco is not just a company, but a group of individuals who make their homes and live their lives in the communities that surround our Winnemucca facility.
Over 90% of Cyanco’s 60 employees at the company’s Winnemucca facility live in Humboldt County. This includes managers, operators, maintenance professionals and technicians – alongside their extended families, including children attending the Humboldt County School District. This equates to hundreds of Humboldt County citizens having a connection to Cyanco. Because we consider these individuals to be part of Cyanco’s extended family, keeping them healthy and safe is our highest priority. As such, we are proud to both support the local economy and be a part of the County’s infrastructure. That means treating Humboldt County itself as part of the Cyanco family.
Today, this is more important than ever, as we all continue to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. Miners and their suppliers have been working to address the greatest needs caused by the current healthcare crisis. This ranges from donating money and resources to local organizations fighting the virus – to sharing best practices to halt the spread of COVID-19 at mines and plants around the globe.
Cyanco is proud to have come out early with preventative measures, such as the heightened use of protective equipment, social distancing and temperature checks before entering our premises. Thanks to these precautions, as of today, we are happy to report that we have had no cases of coronavirus at any Cyanco facility across the world. As a critical supplier to the industry, this has enabled the safe and uninterrupted delivery of product to customers, keeping mines open and safeguarding employees.
Like many other companies in the industry, Cyanco has expanded our community support efforts. These efforts currently focus on healthcare workers/hospitals and children in need, as well as supporting local businesses as much as possible with our purchases.
Outside of Humboldt County:
- At Cyanco’s corporate headquarters in Houston, we are contributing to the city’s ‘Kids Meals’ organization. Kids Meals delivers more than 6,000 meals/day to children in at-risk communities. With these children now sheltering in place due to COVID-19, they need support more than ever and Cyanco is pleased to help Kids Meals expand its deliveries.
- In Cadillac, Quebec, where we operate a distribution terminal serving Canadian mines, Cyanco has donated funds to support the Rouyn-Noranda Hospital Emergency Fund.
Within Humboldt County, where Cyanco has its largest footprint, Cyanco has put together a multi-faceted plan to help:
- We partnered with the Nevada Mining Association in support of their successful initiative to provide emergency funds to Humboldt General Hospital (HGH).
- Cyanco is delivering fresh meals twice a week to HGH, in appreciation of the hospital’s 200 healthcare professionals who are working so hard to save lives and protect the community. Meals are being purchased through local businesses, helping to keep business owners and their employees sustainable throughout the health crisis.
- Cyanco is also assisting the Humboldt County School District with the purchase of 50 new Chromebook laptops. These devices are being distributed to at-need students, providing them access to the tools they need to be successful remote learners.
While the pandemic continues, one of the best ways to help ourselves is to help others – especially our families, both large and small. As members of the Cyanco family, we thank all the Humboldt County healthcare professionals, first responders, teachers and essential workers who are keeping everyone safe, healthy, educated and fed throughout this unprecedented time. You’re making it possible for our colleagues, customers and partners in the mining industry to remain stable and build a healthy future for all.